According to recent studies if your kid is healthy, then you don’t need to worry about the fever because it is the mechanism that fights against infection that causes the illness. You can make few things in order to reduce the fever of your kid. In case the fever lasts longer than several days, then you must take your child to the doctor.
Here are some tips how to reduce your kid’s fever within 5 minutes:
- Brandy water – use one cup of brandy and dilute it with water. Soak gauze in this combination and place it in your kid’s socks.
- Remove layers of clothing – your kid will be able to reduce the heat through the skin. It should wear light layers of cloth. If the kid shivers you should use some light blanket to cover it.
- Use a lukewarm bath or sponge bath. While water evaporates through the skin your kid will lose heat. Cold water is not advisable because it could cause the kid to shiver and increase the body temperature.
- The kid should drink plenty of fluids and eat chilled foods like ice pops and yogurt that will refresh the body from the inside and maintain the organism hydrated
- The kid should stay inside in a cool place
- Grated potatoes – peel the potatoes and grate them. Then you should place them in your kid’s socks
- Use a fan – set it at low setting and leave it to circulate the air in the room, then blow directly at it.
- Apply a damp and cool washcloth on the kid’s forehead.
If the kid is younger than 3 months and suffers from fever, you should take it directly to the doctor. Also, you must call or visit the doctor if the temperature is 101 degrees or higher. For 6 months old baby you should call the doctor if the temperature is 102 degrees. If you notice purple spots on the skin or difficulties while breathing you should call or visit the doctor immediately, even for kids older than 3 years because it could be a symptom of severe bacterial infection.