We get a LOT of bugs in Florida and using citronella oil in a mason jar isn’t some “new thing”. Since we love (love, love) essential oils instead of using chemicals for things like this, I could not resist these easy luminaries.
I love that they can help to ward off the bugs and they are just so beautiful as well!
DIY Bug Repellent Summer Mason Jar Luminaries
Supplies You Need:
- 4 Mason Jars (you can also recycle jelly jars, etc)
- 40 drops each – Cedarwood, Lavender, Lemon and Thieves essential oils (or use your own combination of oils but these are known to help to repel the buggies). This equals TEN drops of each oil / jar.
- 2 fresh lemons
- 2 fresh limes
- 8 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Floating tea light candles
To Assemble these are just so easy. I lined up my 4 mason jars and here’s what you do:
- Slice the lemons and the limes and set aside for a moment – I like to have two each just in case but you can possibly use one each
- Place two sprigs of rosemary into each jar
- Fill each jar 3/4 full with water
- Add the essential oils of your choice – 10 drops each per jar – and swirl slightly
- Place a slice each of lemon and lime into each jar
- Add more water if needed to raise the level to almost full
- Place a floating tea light candle on top
- Set outside, light and make some magic once you light them*
- Replace tea lights as needed – I recommend having some extras on hand!
- Discard fruit and liquid in jar after 2 – 3 days depending on your climate; rinse jars and start fresh as needed
*Never leave candles unattended or in reach of small children; Make sure the mixture in jars is not ingested.