The mangosteen fruit is a pear-shaped tropical fruit that had a deep reddish-purple color when ripe. It grows on an evergreen treat native to Southeast Asia, where it is referred to as “queen of fruits” or “fruit of the gods.”
Mangosteen is no longer banned in the United States!
The fruit was banned from the U.S. until October 2007 because it was thought to harbor Asian fruit flies. This medicinal fruit is no longer banned, allowing everyone to reap the health benefits. It is a good source of vitamin C, essential vitamins and minerals as well as phytochemicals that can help boost the immune systems, decrease inflammation and fight cancer!
If you haven’t tried mangosteen, consider the following health benefits and seek out this tropical fruit on your next shopping trip!
Five health benefits of mangosteen!
- Fights Cancer: Numerous anticancer studies have focused on mangosteen. It contains at least 20 xanthones. A 2008 study found that one xanthone found in the fruit has cancer preventative abilities. A 2012 study found that xanthone extracts have anti-colon cancer effects. Another study found that properties found in mangosteen slow the progress of prostate cancer. A recent 2016 study examined the anticancer activity of the fruit on human breast cancer cells. The study concluded that mangosteen induced the death of cancer cells. The extract from the fruit has also shown to be effective in fighting skin cancer.
- Combats Allergies: One study found that mangosteen has both anti-allergy and anti-inflammatory properties. The study concluded that the fruits extract is more effective in treating allergies than anti-allergy drugs.
- Fights Diabetes: Mangosteen can help prevent and keep diabetes under control. One study found that the fruit contains compounds similar to prescription drug acarbose, which is used to treat symptoms of type 2 diabetes. The fruit also contains tannic acid and oligomeric proanthocyanidin complexes (OPC’s). OPC’s contain high levels of antioxidants that demonstrate antibacterial, antiviral, anti-carcinogenic, anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic, and vasodilatory actions.
- Fights Acne: Mangosteen has also been found to be effective in fighting acne due to its antioxidant levels which helps to fight free radical damage and suppress the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines that contribute to the formation of acne.
- Improves Cardiovascular Health: One study from India found that the xanthones found in the fruit are helpful in reducing the risk of heart attack!
A balanced healthy diet that contains a variety of vegetables, fruits, whole grains and beans has been shown to lower the risk of many types of cancers!
While it is true that no single food can protect your body against cancer but a diet that contains a variety of vegetables, fruits, whole grains and beans can help lower the risk for many types of cancer. Numerous minerals, vitamins, and phytochemicals demonstrate anticancer effects. (3) Consider adding mangosteen to your diet in order to gain the numerous health benefits associated with this tropical fruit!